Are you having a hard time choosing the right sleeping bag?
Do not worry, this article got it all covered for you. So, here are some tips on how to choose the perfect sleeping bags for backpacking.
Tip #1: Determine the season
Before spending too much on brand, make sure to determine first which sleeping bag is best for the current season. Sleeping bags are categorized into different seasons to make it easier to choose the right one.
• Season 1 – These sleeping bags are used for warm summer nights only with a temperature of 10 degrees Celsius and higher.
• Season 2 – These sleeping bags are used for cooler nights with a temperature of 5 degrees Celsius and higher.
• Season 3 – These sleeping bags are used for colder nights, except when it is snowing, where it can keep you warm even at 0 degrees Celsius and higher.
• Season 4 – These sleeping bags are used during a wintery night, even if it is frosty and snowy outside the tent at negative 5 degrees Celsius and higher.
Tip #2: Determine the temperature ratings
Aside from determining the season, temperature ratings are the ideal guide to choose the right sleeping bag for you; it describes the right warmth and comfort of the sleeping bag.
Based on EN 13537 with ISO 23537, the temperature ratings are determined through:
• Comfort (based on women’s definition of comfortable at a relaxed posture)
• Transition rate (based on men’s definition of fighting against cold even at a curled position inside the sleeping bag)
• Extreme range (based on EN Standard definition in keeping “standard woman” warm, keeping her from dying from hypothermia or suffer from frostbite)
Tip #3: Read reliable reviews
One of the best ways to choose the perfect sleeping bag is through reading reliable reviews and checking the product’s customer satisfaction ratings.